The “Staatliche Rhein-Neckar-Hafengesellschaft Mannheim mbH (HGM)” was formed in the year 1990 from the “Staatliches Hafenamt Mannheim” and is owned by the state of Baden-Württemberg as the 100% sole shareholder.
The beginnings of the port however go back much further. The first mention of a landing stage here appears as early as the 13th century. The current port owes its existence to the opening on the “Free Port of Mannheim” in 1828. Since then, generations have worked in the port, gained their livelihood from it, and step by step successfully developed it further. If we regard the port today as one of the most important economic locations of its type, this is associated with the recognition of the performance of previous generations, as well our claim to shaping the future.
The Port of Mannheim is well-prepared for this task. Extensive investment programmes, a permanent extension of the range of services and a number of innovative ideas are ensuring that the Port of Mannheim will continue today and tomorrow to fulfil its outstanding national and international role as a logistical hub and one of the motors of economic development – and not only in the growth area of logistics, but also for the economy in the Rhein-Neckar metropolitan region in general.
The business model of the HGM is forward-looking and contemporary in its approach to future challenges. The HGM manages the complete port and is responsible for the maintenance and further development of its infrastructure . The assignment of port land takes the form of long-term leases and is available to the company for use at its own discretion.
The turnover of the HGM comes from the rental and leasing of property, as well as from the collection of pierage and port dues and harbour railway fees. It is ensured that the port is not reliant on subsidies of any kind.